The use of fluoroscopic x-ray equipment in Western Australia must comply with the requirements of the Radiation Safety Act and the Radiation Safety (General) Regulations. The following information is relevant to non-radiologist specialist medical practitioners.



Specialist medical practitioners that use fluoroscopy during surgery or for purposes related to their specialty must hold a licence under the Radiation Safety Act. To be eligible for a licence, you will need to have attended a recognised radiation safety course and be registered as a medical practitioner with Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA) in one of the following categories:

  • Specialist
  • Limited Area of Need
  • Limited Postgraduate Training or Supervised Practice

To apply for a licence you will need to complete and submit a licence application form [PDF < 100 kb]. See courses and examinations for further information on recognised radiation safety courses.

The licence amendment form [PDF < 100 kb] may be used to change your postal address or name, add or remove a licence purpose, or to terminate your licence.

Non-specialist medical practitioners in remote and rural areas may be eligible for a licence to use fluoroscopic equipment for the reduction of fractures. Council officers should be contacted for further information on the relevant requirements.



The premises and all x-ray equipment in use or storage must be registered. Should you need to make an application for registration, you will need to complete and submit a registration application form [PDF < 100 kb]. Registrations are not transferrable between owners. The new owner of the premises and any x-ray equipment must apply for a new registration.

A nomination for the Radiation Safety Officer will need to be made on the registration application. To make a change of Radiation Safety Officer, you will need to submit a nomination to the Radiological Council in writing.

You must give prior written notification to the Radiological Council of any planned changes that affect the information previously supplied for your registration. The registration amendment form [PDF < 100 kb] may be used to advise of new equipment, sale or transfer of equipment, or disposal of equipment. For changes not covered by this form, you will need to submit written notification to Council requesting your registration be amended.

For both new registration applications and amendment to an existing registration, the following must be considered –


Further Information


Related Pages


Download  Adobe Acrobat ReaderFile formats
Adobe® Acrobat Reader is required to view Portable Document Format (PDF) files.

Page last revised: 20 August 2013