The use of portable density/moisture gauges in Western Australia must comply with the requirements of the Radiation Safety Act and the Radiation Safety (General) Regulations.

The Regulations require compliance with the Australian Radiation Protection and Nuclear Safety Agency [external website] Code of Practice and Safety Guide for Portable Density/Moisture Gauges Containing Radioactive Sources (2004).



Users of portable density/moisture gauges must either be licensed under the Radiation Safety Act, or working under the direction and immediate personal supervision of a licensee. Immediate personal supervision requires the licensee to be present and maintain direct and continuous supervision of any person under the licensee’s direction.

To apply for a licence you will need to complete and submit a licence application form [PDF < 100 kb]. To be eligible for a licence, you must attend a recognised radiation safety course and pass Council's examination for the use of portable density/moisture gauges. See courses and examinations for further information on recognised radiation safety courses.

The licence amendment form [PDF < 100 kb] may be used to change your postal address or name, add or remove a licence purpose, or to terminate your licence.



The premises and all portable moisture/density gauges in use or storage must be registered. Should you need to make an application for registration, you will need to complete and submit a registration application form [PDF < 100 kb]. Registrations are not transferrable between owners. The new owner of the premises and any portable moisture/density gauges must apply for a new registration.

A nomination for the Radiation Safety Officer will need to be made on the registration application. To make a change of Radiation Safety Officer, you will need to submit a nomination to the Radiological Council in writing.

You must give prior written notification to the Radiological Council of any planned changes that affect the information previously supplied for your registration. The registration amendment form [PDF < 100 kb] may be used to advise of new equipment, sale or transfer of equipment, or disposal of equipment. For changes not covered by this form, you will need to submit written notification to Council requesting your registration be amended.

For both new registration applications and amendment to an existing registration, the following must be considered –


Further Information


Related Pages


Download  Adobe Acrobat ReaderFile formats
Adobe® Acrobat Reader is required to view Portable Document Format (PDF) files.

Page last revised: 20 August 2013