The use of radioactive substances in Western Australia must comply with the requirements of the Radiation Safety Act and the Radiation Safety (General) Regulations. The following information is relevant for those who use radioactive substances for the purpose of radiotherapy during the course of their business.



Use of radioactive substances/sources or equipment containing radioactive sources for therapeutic purposes is restricted to persons holding a licence for the purpose, or to persons with approved qualifications acting under the supervision of such a licensee.

Authorisation to use radioactive substances for therapeutic purposes must come from a specialist medical practitioner who holds an appropriate licence under the Radiation Safety Act.

To apply for a licence you will need to complete and submit a licence application form [PDF  < 100 kb]. Please contact a Council officer for information regarding eligibility requirements.

The licence amendment form [PDF < 100 kb] may be used to change your postal address or name, add or remove a licence purpose, or to terminate your licence.



The premises and all radioactive substances must be registered. Should you need to make an application for registration, you will need to complete and submit a registration application form [PDF < 100 kb]. Registrations are not transferrable between owners. The new owner of the premises and any radioactive substances must apply for a new registration.

A nomination for the Radiation Safety Officer will need to be made on the registration application. To make a change of Radiation Safety Officer, you will need to submit a nomination to the Radiological Council in writing.

You must give prior written notification to the Radiological Council of any planned changes that affect the information previously supplied for your registration. The registration amendment form [PDF < 100 kb] may be used to advise of new substances/sources, sale or transfer of substances/sources, or disposal of substances/sources. For changes not covered by this form, you will need to submit written notification to Council requesting your registration be amended.

For both new registration applications and amendment to an existing registration, the following must be considered –

  • Personal Radiation Monitoring
    Personal radiation monitoring is required for those occupationally exposed to radiation.
  • Structural Protection
    Structural protection assessments may be required to be undertaken for any location where certain radioactive substances are used for the purpose of radiotherapy.


Further Information


Related Pages


Download  Adobe Acrobat ReaderFile formats
Adobe® Acrobat Reader is required to view Portable Document Format (PDF) files.

Page last revised: 17 September 2013