The service of x-ray equipment in Western Australia must comply with the requirements of the Radiation Safety Act and the Radiation Safety (General) Regulations.


X-ray equipment may only be installed or serviced by persons holding a relevant licence, or by persons acting under the direction and supervision of a licensee. The requirements, including the level of supervision by the licensee, vary depending on the category of x-ray equipment being serviced. There are several caterogories of service licences, including:

  • Analytical
  • Dental
  • Diagnostic
  • Therapeutic
  • Industrial NDT
  • Cabinet X-ray Equipment

To apply for a licence you will need to complete and submit a licence application form [PDF < 100 kb]. To be eligible for a licence, you will need to have a minimum 3 months experience in the routine servicing of the relevant class of x-ray equipment under the supervision of a licensee; have proof of attendance at a radiation safety course applicable to the class of x-ray equipment you wish to service; and pass the core and written examinations held by the Radiological Council with a minimum 65%. See courses and examinations for further information on recognised radiation safety courses.

The prerequisites are different for a licence for the service of linear accelerators, please contact a Council officer for further information.

At present only limited specific radiation safety courses are available, although some manufacturer’s courses may be acceptable if adequate documentation on the course can be provided. An exemption from the course for some categories may be given if you have 3 or more years relevant experience over the last 5 years, however you may still be required to pass the relevant Council examination.

The licence amendment form [PDF < 100 kb] may be used to change your postal address or name, add or remove a licence purpose, or to terminate your licence.



The premises and all x-ray equipment in use or storage must be registered. Should you need to make an application for registration, you will need to complete and submit a registration application form [PDF < 100 kb]. Registrations are not transferrable between owners. The new owner of the premises and any x-ray equipment must apply for a new registration.

A nomination for the Radiation Safety Officer will need to be made on the registration application. To make a change of Radiation Safety Officer, you will need to submit a nomination to the Radiological Council in writing.

You must give prior written notification to the Radiological Council of any planned changes that affect the information previously supplied for your registration. The registration amendment form [PDF < 100 kb] may be used to advise of new equipment, sale or transfer of equipment, or disposal of equipment. For changes not covered by this form, you will need to submit written notification to Council requesting your registration be amended.

For both new registration applications and amendment to an existing registration, the following must be considered –


Further Information


Related Pages



        Adobe Acrobat Reader File formats
 Adobe® Acrobat Reader is required to view Portable Document Format (PDF) files.

Page last revised: 20 August 2013