The use of x-ray analysis (XRA) equipment in Western Australia must comply with the requirements of the Radiation Safety Act and the Radiation Safety (General) Regulations.

The Regulations require compliance with the Australian Radiation Protection and Nuclear Safety Agency [external website] Code of practice for protection against ionizing radiation emitted from x-ray analysis equipment (1984).



Users of XRA equipment must either be licensed under the Radiation Safety Act, or working under the direction and supervision of a licensee. Licences for the use of XRA equipment fall into two groups:

  • X-ray Analysis – Use: for those who use the equipment and have no need to perform alignments and calibrations; and
  • X-ray Analysis – Use and Service (Restricted): for those whose use may include the need to bypass interlocks for alignment, calibration and tube changes.

To apply for a licence, you will need to complete and submit a licence application form [PDF < 100 kb]. To be eligible for a licence, you must attend a recognised radiation safety course for the use of XRA equipment. See courses and examinations for further information on recognised radiation safety courses. In addition, licence applicants for X-ray Analysis – Use and Service (Restricted) must also pass Council’s examinations.

The licence amendment form [PDF < 100 kb] may be used to change your postal address or name, add or remove a licence purpose, or to terminate your licence.



The premises and all XRA equipment in use or storage must be registered. Should you need to make an application for registration, you will need to complete and submit a registration application form [PDF < 100 kb]. Registrations are not transferrable between owners. The new owner of the premises and any x-ray equipment must apply for a new registration.

A nomination for the Radiation Safety Officer will need to be made on the registration application. To make a change of Radiation Safety Officer, you will need to submit a nomination to the Radiological Council in writing.

You must give prior written notification to the Radiological Council of any planned changes that affect the information previously supplied for your registration. The registration amendment form [PDF < 100 kb] may be used to advise of new equipment, sale or transfer of equipment, or disposal of equipment. For changes not covered by this form, you will need to submit written notification to Council requesting your registration be amended.


Further Information


Related Pages


Download  Adobe Acrobat ReaderFile formats
Adobe® Acrobat Reader is required to view Portable Document Format (PDF) files.

Page last revised: 20 August 2013